Monday, October 18, 2010

Paint, Paint, Print?

Last spring I was lucky enough to travel to the south of France, where I lived in the small medieval village of Lacoste. It was there, where I first experimented with the very old and traditional art form printmaking. While I had my grievances with the different techniques, my approach to my preliminary drawings were completely different from what I am accustomed to. I have always been drawn to linear work, and when I paint I've learned not to try to recreate the whole, but just small shapes that stand beside each other to build the form. So I did just precisely that with my prints; I'm emphasized shape rather than form. Just a few images to follow:

 Universal Collective I; 2010, Linoleum Cut, 6” x 5.75"
Universal Collective II; 2010, Linoleum Cut, 6” x 5.75”
Universal Collective III; 2010, Linoleum Cut, 6” x 5.75”
 Contain; 2010, Linoleum Cut, 16.5” x 12”

I thinking about approching my future paintings with the same mentality as my prints. Going in a more graphic direction.... how or why for? I am not entirely sure, but I just have to do it.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment