Monday, October 25, 2010

A Narrative

The other day my professor had asked me why I was interested in the figure. My immediate explanation was that it was an obsession of sorts. It had originally started out that I was unable to render the human form well and I simply wanted to be able to. So the human figure became my subject of choice for almost all my recent work. However, what I failed to mention to my professor was that my interest had developed beyond technical ability. I am extremely interested in humans in general. One of the biggest surprises yet disappointments I learned of when I studied abroad, is that I respond to people not environments. The beauty of Lacoste France was one that could compare to no other. But honestly speaking, it was not all that inspiring in correlation to my work. (I could say otherwise about its affects on me as a person)  It was the people who surrounded me, the locals and the students I was with, who influenced me the most. I am interested in those I do not know and want to learn more. The characters I create are just as much a stranger to me as the viewer and want to understand them, learn from them.

My latest series is a response to two sources. One: There She is - Taking a Bath, a short story by Sherwood Anderson. Two: A recorded duel between artist Edouard Manet and writer and painter Edmond Daughtry. In both stories the lead male feels as if his honor has been tampered with, and in response acts irrationally, losing sanity and one could argue respect. What I found particularly interesting about Manet's tale was his relationship with a pair a boots he purchased the evening before the duel. He wrote to Baudelaire about their spacious quality and high level of comfort. He of course wore them to the duel. Manet was the first to strike, whereupon the duel was immediately called off. Now Daughtry had been wounded in the chest, and in a bizarre turn of events; Manet immediately offered his new boots to Edmond. How strange. Perhaps his levels of testosterone went down and sense was once again returned to his mind. But within minutes of striking down a friend he felt remorse and offered up his most prized possession at the time. To me the duel is of no interest, it is the hidden tale of the boots that are beyond fascinating. And so it creates the beginnings of a series:

There She is-Taking a Bath; 2010, oil on wood panel, 48" x 60"

The Philosopher; 2010, oil on wood panel, 72" x 36"

Thanks for Reading. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember you telling me the story behind these while they were still in their works. They look amazing, and I am so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete