Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Painting


Within the past few years I have not been on this grandiose path to discover who I am as a painter. I simply wanted to paint. I have a strong belief that one must attain some form of basic academic understanding of materials and technique, before they develop their "style" or "label" as an artist. Perhaps these ideals come from going to art school for numerous years. Where the halls are filled with conceptual artists who at times do not have the skill to back up their work. Do not get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for conceptual work. But I can not appreciate the work of an artist (or student I should say) who refuses to go beyond hiding behind their ideas (or lack of) to avoid learning. Without some level of skill, are you to be still considered a artist? Or perhaps just a philosopher? The same could be said for those who hid behind there abilities to render form, for their lack of concept. There needs to be a balance and understanding of both worlds.  And once you have that knowledge, feel free to roam and do what is best for you. What it really comes down to, you have to be open to learning, experimenting and failing.

Now, on this path to learning and understanding painting on its own, I began to have a better understanding of who I want to become. As of now I find that I am moving towards figurative and narrative work.  I am interested in creating characters, and understanding who they are as they develop. Who they are in relation to each other, and who they are in relation to the viewer and myself, for I am just as much a stranger. The piece above is just one painting that pointed me in this direction, although it is not a direct represention of these ideals. Instead the focus of this 48” x 60.5” canvas, entitled, "The Gentlemen", was to understand form and have fun with it. Anyway, just a taste of what is to come.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment